2014+ NON JBL Toyota 4Runner System 1 Installation Instructions
Thank you for purchasing the tacotunes.com system 1 complete audio upgrade. This system will allow you to keep your stock head unit and utilize your existing speaker wiring system in your Toyota 4Runner. This setup will save you a lot of time over our higher end SQ1 systems. In addition, you will be able to return you truck back to stock in the event you sale or trade the vehicle. Be sure to save ALL your stock parts.
Following the instructions below is crucial to a successful installation. We recommend prepping the following items the day before you begin your installation. This will ensure all the parts are at your disposal. We highly recommend that you take your time and NOT be in a time crunch when doing this install. There are a couple of steps where it will help to have a buddy help you out. Not necessary but makes it easier. Do NOT start drinking your favorite beverage until recommend below. Plus be sure to keep your mind sharp. By getting the installation done right the first time you will enjoy years of quality sound in your Toyota 4Runner. Shortcuts and rushing through the install will cause issues down the road. Take your time enjoy the install.
Prep Time – 2-3 hours
Prepping the day before the install:
- Download test tones and burn to CD. Click here to download test tones.
- Mount your crossovers to the provided crossover mounts. (see speaker install video)
- Connect the 18g & 16g wiring to the crossovers
- If mounting your tweeters in sail panels, prepare your sail panels the night before and use some black caulk if necessary to secure the tweeters to your sail panels.
- Assemble your amp rack, amplifier, distribution block etc. (see video below)
- Assemble your subwoofer / subwoofer box. (see video below)
- Watch installation videos to understand the process.
- Get your six pack on ice. DO NOT OPEN until instructed! 🙂
- Go over checklist and ensure all parts are in the package. We have a checklist that we do on EACH system. But we are human so it is possible a part was missed.
Installation: 4 – 8 hours
Tear down process and steps – follow the order below.
KILL YOUR BATTERY. Remove the NEGATIVE connection from the battery and secure it AWAY from battery.
- Begin the tear down process. (see tear down video)
- Remove the door panels.
- Remove door sills.
- Remove driver side kick panel.
- Remove front passenger seat.
- Remove rear portion of center console.
- Remove rear seats (if installing subwoofer) – have a friend help the rear seats are heavy.
- Remove passenger side rear pillar panel (if installing subwoofer)
- Remove stock amplifier under front passenger seat. (save the bolts)
- Remove front / rear speakers.
- If you will be matting your doors we suggest doing this before you being the steps below. Keep in mind matting will add a full day to your install.
- Run power wire from battery to new amp location. (see video)
- Assemble the fuse block and complete under hood details. (Do not connect to battery)
- Run subwoofer wire to rear of vehicle per the installation video.
- Install amps / amp rack per video. (do not connect output connections)
- Connect input side of amp first.
- Connect battery ensure the amps power up when you turn on the car.
- Disconnect battery.
- Connect output connections from the amplifiers.
- Clear brain and take a 15 minute break.
- Connect battery
- Tune amplifiers per tuning video(s).
- Install front / rear speakers.
- Install subwoofer.
- Test system – ensure playing correctly.
- disconnect battery.
- Install center console.
- Install rear pillar panel.
- Install seats BEFORE installing door panels and door sills. (battery should be unplugged)
- Install kick panels and door sills.
- Install door panels.
- Connect battery.
- Test the sound and ensure all playing properly.
- Open a single beverage (not hard liquor) beat your chest and listen to your tunes for about 10 minutes.
- Finish cleaning up odds and ends.
- Be sure to save ALL stock parts.
Congratulations you just installed an audio system that would have cost you over $3,000 at your local audio shop.
Preparing for installation:
Tear Down Process:
Installing Power Wire
How to tune TXD6001 mono subowoofer